A little while ago I reviewed “Speech Therapy for Apraxia-WORDS” by Blue Whale Apps. You can Find this post HERE. Similarly to Speech Therapy for Apraxia, the Words version is designed for working on motor planning with children and adults presenting with developmental or acquired apraxia of speech. However, this app focuses on the child producing monosyllabic words vs. individual syllables.
There are 9 different word groups to chose from and the words are categorized according to place of articulation of the phonemes and pattern of articulation within the word. Similar to the Speech Therapy for Apraxia app, the goal of WORDS is to gradually increase the levels of difficulty to improve motor planning for speech.
To recap from the previous post what I like about this app:
- The word groups are arranged in a hierarchical order of complexitywhich is hugely important.
- Great for drills of CVC monosyllabic words with very involved children.
- Great for introducing new words into the child’s repertoire.
- Pictures are provided (great for teaching vocabulary)
- Audio models are provided, which is great for all clients but particularly for very young children.
- This app is perfect for drills so you can use it in the initial stages of working with children with a variety of speech sound deficits including articulation and phonological disorders.
- Parents can use this app to practice at home what was taught in therapy.
Please note that the app works on iPad, Android devices and the Nook
The app developer was kind enough to provide me with 3 copies of this app AGAIN to give away to a few lucky contestants so enter my Rafflecopter giveaway for a chance to check out this awesome app for yourself for free.