My article entitled: Speech Language Strategies for Multisensory Stimulation of Internationally Adopted Children has been published in the January 2012 Issue of Adoption Today Magazine
Summary: The article introduces the concept of multisensory stimulation and explains its benefits for internationally adopted children of all ages. It also provides suggestions for parents and professionals on how to implement multisensory strategies in a variety of educational activities in order to stimulate interest, increase task participation as well as facilitate concept retention.
Doman, G & Wilkinson, R (1993) The effects of intense multi-sensory stimulation on coma arousal and recovery. Neuropsychological Rehabilitation. 3 (2): 203-212.
Johnson, D. E et al (1992) The health of children adopted from Romania. Journal of the American Medical Association. 268(24): 3446-3450
Ti, K, Shin YH, & White-Traut, RC (2003), Multisensory intervention improves physical growth and illness rates in Korean orphaned newborn infants. Research in Nursing Health. 26 (6): 424-33.
Milev et al (2008) Multisensory Stimulation for Elderly With Dementia: A 24-Week Single-Blind Randomized Controlled Pilot Study. American Journal of Alzheimer’s Disease and Other Dementias. 23 (4): 372-376.
Tarullo, A & Gunnar, M (2006). Child Maltreatment and Developing HPA Axis. Hormones and Behavior 50, 632-639.
White Traut (1999) Developmental Intervention for Preterm Infants Diagnosed with Periventricular Leukomalacia. Research in Nursing Health. 22: 131-143.
White Traut et al (2009) Salivary Cortisol and Behavioral State Responses of Healthy Newborn Infants to Tactile-Only and Multisensory Interventions. Journal of Obstetric, Gynecologic, & Neonatal Nursing. 38(1): 22–34
- American Occupational Therapy Association (AOTA) http://www.aota.org/
- American Speech-Language-Hearing Association (ASHA) http://www.asha.org/
- Anatomy Arcade: http://www.anatomyarcade.com/
- Cannon, Janell (2000) Crickwing. Harcourt Children’s Press.
- DLTK Printable Crafts for Kids www.dltk-kids.com
- Enchanted Learning: http://www.enchantedlearning.com/crafts/halloween/pastaskeleton/ How to make a pasta skeleton;
- Enchanted Learning: http://www.enchantedlearning.com/crafts/edible/ Edible Crafts
- Percival Touch ‘n’ Feel Book (2005). Bendon Publishing International
- Sensory Processing Disorders Foundation Website http://www.sinetwork.org/index.html
- Sensory Processing Disorder Blog http://www.sensory-processing-disorder.com/index.html
- Wendy Z Learning Resources. 5 recycled multisensory learning games. Retrieved October 30th 2011. (http://wendyzshandsonlearning.blogspot.com/2009/06/5-recycled-multisensory-learning-games.html)