Assessment of Social Communication From Toddlerhood Through Adolescence
Earn 58 Reward Points
This 101 slide presentation discusses how to assess social communication abilities of children ranging in ages from toddlerhood through adolescence.
After the completion of this course, learners will be able to
- Explain the connection between late language development and social-emotional functioning.
- Describe manifestations of emotional behavioral difficulties in young children with language deficits.
- Explain the impact of psychiatric disturbances on language development.
- List common pediatric psychiatric (non-autistic) diagnoses affecting language abilities.
- List formal and informal assessments relevant to toddlers and preschoolers.
- List formal assessment instruments used to assess pragmatic language and social cognitive abilities of school age and adolescent children.
- Describe informal assessment procedures used to assess pragmatic language and social cognitive abilities of school age and adolescent children.
*Please note that this product is a compilation of several products on this topic including the following presentations:
- Recognizing the Warning Signs of Social-Emotional Difficulties in Language-Impaired Toddlers and Preschoolers
- Assessment of Social Communication Deficits in School-Aged Children with Psychiatric Impairments (Updated)
- Assessing Social Communication Abilities of School-Aged Children
Please review both product descriptions very carefully prior to making a purchase of the desired product/s.
- Overview of recent changes in terminology as pertinent to language disorders (5 slides)
- Comorbidity of DLD and Psychiatric Diagnoses
- How early do these difficulties show?
- Do the parents always see it?
- are there discrepancies between parents and teachers?
- What should we track with respect to behavior?
- What are some warning signs of behavioral difficulties?
- It’s not just autism that’s a concern
- Common Psychiatric Disorders in Children 2-5 years of age
- Discrepancy between settings
- Psychiatric Hospital
- Private Practice (with a focus on psychiatric disorders)
- Are all language delayed toddlers/preschoolers at risk?
- When do you really see behavior issues in full effect?
- Let’s Talk Assessment
- Preparing for Assessment: Parental Interview
- During the Assessment
- Language Sample and Complex Sentences: Did you know..?
- Narrative Assessment Overview
- Narrative Ages and Stages
- What can narratives yield about the child?
- Standardized Instruments Sensitive to Social Pragmatic Deficits
- Checklists Sensitive to Behavior Difficulties in Toddlers and Preschoolers
- Reviewing the Language Findings
- Comparing Results
- What to do next?
- Final thoughts
- Psychiatric Diagnoses, DLD and School Aged Children
- Psychiatric Diagnoses and Social Pragmatic Skills
- Common Pediatric Psychiatric (non-autistic) Diagnoses Affecting Language Skills
- Role of SLPs Relevant to Social Communication Disorders
- Social Communication Skills
- Difficulty with Detection of Social Pragmatic Language Deficits
- Where to begin the assessment?
- Relevant Assessment Areas
- Sample Areas of Difficulty
- Useful Updated Standardized Tests: Strengths and Limitations
- Useful Informal Assessments
- It’s all about ToM
- First Order False Belief Task
- Second Order False Belief Tasks
- Strange Stories
- Discourse Analysis
- Procedural Analysis
- Narrative Analysis
- Helpful Resources
- *References Available Upon Request via Email
Social Pragmatic Language: Multiple Interpretations Therapy Activity$1.99
Earn 4 Reward Points Add to cart
Speech Language Assessment and Treatment of Children with Alcohol Related Disorders$16.99
Earn 34 Reward Points Add to cart
Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorders Assessment and Treatment BundleSale!
$37.97Add to cart