Purchase this Product and Earn 32 Reward Points ($1.60)
Recognizing the Warning Signs of Social Emotional Difficulties in Language Impaired Toddlers and Preschoolers
Earn 32 Reward Points
This 45 slide presentation was created for speech language pathologists to explain the connection between late language development and the risk of social emotional disturbances in young children 18 months-6 years of age.
- Explain the connection between late language development and social emotional functioning
- Describe manifestations of emotional behavioral difficulties in young children with language deficits
- List formal and informal assessments relevant to toddlers and preschoolers
- Explain why the warning signs of significant emotional behavioral manifestations in young children warrant a referral to related professionals
- Language impairment and psychiatric comorbidities
- How early do these difficulties show?
- Do the parents always see it?
- are there discrepancies between parents and teachers?
- What should we track with respect to behavior?
- What are some warning signs of behavioral difficulties?
- It’s not just autism that’s a concern
- Common Psychiatric Disorders in Children 2-5 years of age
- Let’s talk personal observations
- Psychiatric Hospital
- Private Practice (with focus on psychiatric disorders)
- Are all language delayed toddlers/preschoolers at risk?
- When do you really see behavior issues in full effect?
- Let’s Talk Assessment
- Preparing for Assessment: Parental Interview
- During the Assessment
- Language Sample and Complex Sentences: Did you know..?
- Narrative Assessment Overview
- Narrative Ages and Stages
- What can narratives yield about the child?
- Standardized Instruments Sensitive to Social Pragmatic Deficits
- Checklists Sensitive to Behavior Difficulties in Toddlers and Preschoolers
- Reviewing the Language Findings
- Comparing Results
- What to do next?
- Helpful Resources
- Contact Information
Categories: Assessment, Assessment Checklists, Behavior Management and Social Skills, Bilingual, Consultation, Developmental Milestones, Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorders, Internationally Adopted Children, Multicultural, Narrative Assessment, Parents, Preschool, Psychiatric, Social Pragmatic Language, Therapy, Treatment