Recognizing the Warning Signs of Social Emotional Difficulties in Language Impaired Toddlers and Preschoolers
Earn 32 Reward Points
This 48 slide presentation discusses the connection between late language development and the risk of social emotional disturbances in young children 18 months-6 years of age. It describes manifestations of emotional behavioral difficulties in young children with language deficits, lists formal and informal assessments relevant to toddlers and preschoolers, and explains which warning signs of significant emotional behavioral manifestations in young children warrant a referral to related professionals (e.g., psychiatrists, psychologists, etc.)
- Explain the connection between late language development and social-emotional functioning
- Describe manifestations of emotional behavioral difficulties in young children with language deficits
- List formal and informal assessments relevant to toddlers and preschoolers
- Explain why the warning signs of significant emotional behavioral manifestations in young children warrant a referral to related professionals
- Language impairment and psychiatric comorbidities
- How early do these difficulties show?
- Do the parents always see it?
- are there discrepancies between parents and teachers?
- What should we track with respect to behavior?
- What are some warning signs of behavioral difficulties?
- It’s not just autism that’s a concern
- Common Psychiatric Disorders in Children 2-5 years of age
- Differences between settings
- Psychiatric Hospital
- Private Practice (with a focus on psychiatric disorders)
- Are all language delayed toddlers/preschoolers at risk?
- When do you really see behavior issues in full effect?
- Let’s Talk Assessment
- Preparing for Assessment: Parental Interview
- During the Assessment
- Language Sample and Complex Sentences: Did you know..?
- Narrative Assessment Overview
- Narrative Ages and Stages
- What can narratives yield about the child?
- Standardized Instruments Sensitive to Social Pragmatic Deficits
- Checklists Sensitive to Behavior Difficulties in Toddlers and Preschoolers
- Reviewing the Language Findings
- Comparing Results
- What to do next?
- Helpful Resources
- Contact Information
Orofacial Observations of At-Risk Children: Recommendations for Parents and Professionals$3.99
Earn 8 Reward Points Add to cart
At a Glance Charts: Narrative Assessment$9.99
Earn 20 Reward Points Add to cart
Normal Simultaneous Bilingual Language Development and Milestones Acquisition$7.99
Earn 16 Reward Points Add to cart