Vocabulary Intervention: Working With Disadvantaged Populations
This 35 page presentation discusses effective instructional vocabulary strategies for struggling learners.
- Why target vocabulary
- Vocabulary Knowledge & Socioeconomic status (SES)
- Limitations of poor readers
- State of Vocabulary Instruction
- RtI: Improving Vocabulary Outcomes
- RtI Tier Student Percentages
- Tier II Vocabulary
- Vocabulary Selection Tips
- Examples of Thematic Vocabulary Selection
- Effective Methods of Vocabulary Instruction
- Components of a Strong Vocabulary Program
- Creating Effective Intervention Materials
- Why reading aloud is important
- Which children are at risk
- Explicit Vocabulary Instruction
- Instructional Routine for Vocabulary
- Word Learning Strategies
- What to do for older non-readers
- Free Resources
- Smart Speech Therapy Resources
For a detailed review of this product by Lindsey Swanson-Karol of the Word Nerd Speech Teach Blog click HERE
Communication Station: Speech Therapy, PLLC (verified owner) –
As SLPs we are continuously working on vocabulary with our clients. I like this PPT because it explains what populations require vocabulary instruction, why we as SLPs need to avoid “dumbing down” our language when speaking to them, and how we can successfully teach vocabulary.
My favorite part:
I love the specific instructions on how to teach 15-20 vocabulary words at a time!
Great info! SO WORTH downloading!!!
I just bought and read the pack you made for vocab intervention. I moved from NJ (how I miss my preK students!), so I now work at a Title I elementary school in GA, so this is just what I was looking for! I was glad to find that I was doing the right thing, i.e. concentrating with Tier 2 words and using morphology for them to understand the meaning of other words. I was also using pictures, props and other materials to get a message across. However, being a low SES population I was having a tough time getting them to learn much of what I wanted, so your pack has given me more ideas and Dr. Archer’s video has shown me how it is done!!
Keep up the excellent work!!