Normal Sequential Bilingual Language Development and Proficiency Attainment
This 31 page introductory material describes the sequence of typical sequential bilingual language development. It is part of several comprehensive bilingual assessment materials found HERE as a part of a “Multicultural Assessment and Treatment Bundle” AND HERE as an individual product entitled “Language Difference vs. Language Disorder: Assessment & Intervention Strategies for SLPs Working with Bilingual Children“.
- Discuss types of sequential bilingualism
- List stages of bilingual language acquisition
- Explain the difference between additive and subtractive bilingualism
- Review academic language functions hierarchy
- Describe Unified Competition Model
- Discuss differences in L2 acquisition in younger and older learners
- Sequential Bilingualism
- Stages of Sequential Language Acquisition
- Bilingualism categorizations
- A Note on Subtractive Bilingualism
- Maintaining L1 while Learning L2
- Language Proficiency: Terminology
- Acquisition Time Frames: L2 vs. IA
- Second Language Acquisition Model
- What is Academic Language?
- Academic Language Functions Hierarchy
- Is there an optimal period for bilingual language acquisition?
- What is Unified Competition Model
- Sensitive period for ‘native-like’ L2 acquisition
- Who learns faster: younger or older children?
- Let’s talk about younger L2 learners
- Let’s talk about older learners (before puberty)
- Let’s talk about older learners (after puberty)
- Affect of Age on L2 Acquisition
- Factors influencing success of older learners
- Helpful Smart Speech Therapy Resources
There are no reviews yet.