Today I’m excited to review not just one but a bundle of four different apps I Can Do Apps developed by Carrie Steenbergen M.S, CCC-SLP.
This bundle consists of the following 4 apps:
- Starting Sounds
These apps are perfect for young preschool and kindergarten age children or older children with developmental disabilities and language delay. Reminiscent of the Kindergarten.com apps (no longer available in the US) they have a simple layout and engaging real life photographs to facilitate students interest.
All of the below I Can Do apps have five different levels, each containing 10 trials (with the exception of memory games). They contain pictures of real objects and are wonderfully randomized.
Levels increase in the order of difficulty and movement between screens is accomplished manually for teaching purposes. The apps allow the clinician/parent to turn on/off written words and audio reinforcement after selected answers.
First up is the Associations app. It’s five levels are:
2. Identify associated items given three choices
3. Identify two out of four associated pictures
4. Identify three out of six associated pictures
5. Identify the item which does not belong
Next is the Categories app. It’s five levels are:
1. Identify a picture that fits into a specific category given two visual choices
2. “Find the other category member” from three visual choices
4. Identify two out of four pictures which go together
5. Identify the item which does not belong in a category
Now let’s talk about the Rhyming app, it’s five levels are:
2. Identify rhyme from two pictures
3. Identify a rhyme from three pictures
4. Identify a rhyme from four pictures
5. Play a rhyming memory matching game
Finally there is the most advanced app in the bundle the Starting Sounds app, and it’s five levels are:
1. Identify the starting sound
2. Identify the picture which begins with the given sound
3. Identify the picture starting with the given sound give 2 visual choices
5. Play a memory matching game
There you have it! These practical, relatively inexpensive apps ($2.99 each or $9.99 per bundle) are great for introducing early critical thinking and emergent literacy skills to young children.
I really enjoyed using them and found them particularly effective for my 4 to 6 year old language impaired preschoolers as well in my older 8 to 10-year-old client with developmental disabilities such as Down Syndrome, Fragile X, as well nonspecific cognitive disabilities.
Find them separately or together in the iTunes Store or, thanks to the generosity of their developer enter my rafflecopter giveaway for a chance to win your own bundle!